Tuesday 25 September 2012

Proverbs of Heaven and Hell

Screaming in proverbs, the bottle, Half-empty, 
In silence of traffic, the quiet hours of death 
She cries out the last throes of childbirth and blood: 
Umbilical severing blue, green and red. 

So where did you go, my unwanted new life? 
To the fields of white poppies, distillery labs, 
Unplanned and unharnessed untaught, yet in shackles 
I trod through the fire, saw this life as a battle. 

And why do you brandish the words of redemption? 
Your virtues are few and your voucher exempt. 
Because I have hope, dear, though hope is illusion 
And words can be empty and love mere confusion 
I've cried in the gutters, 
My life force but spent. 

So she climbs into nothing, 
Oblivion beckons 
There's no one to notice or care, so she reckons 

But look at that glimmer of something once known 
Creation's old joke. Now, she searches for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment